The Lawson Mayfair-Zephyr Clock Mystery

Lawson 37 ad-1-60070-2

With each new discovery, the Lawson Time story offers up another mystery. It now appears the Zephyr clock wasn’t called the Zephyr until 1938. It was the Mayfair, as shown in this 1937 ad from L.A. distributor Koke-Sloudt.

What prompted the name change? A guess would be Lawson’s use of the slogan “Lawson Time-Table Time” was a good fit with the record setting Burlington Zephyr train.

Lawson 37 ad-1-60070

This advertisement provides other interesting information as well. At the top is the original Lawson plastic clock, the elusive Empress, which would be sold again in stripped down form as the Americana, late in the 1940s. At the bottom, we see the Lawson lamp/clock combination that was given as a prize at the 1937 Tournament of Roses.

Sometime between this 1937 ad and Lawson’s 1938 catalog, the Mayfair and Savoy names were dropped, replaced by the Zephyr and New Yorker. Whether there were any Mayfairs and Savoys, or if these three clocks even existed prior to 1937-38 is unknown.

Many thanks to Scott Braznell for providing this extremely rare example of early Lawson clock advertising.

This entry was posted in Art Deco Architecture, Lawson Clocks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *